• Appoint a Minister for Older People to attend Cabinet.
• Appoint a Commissioner for Older People.
• Increase the number of staff on older people's wards in line with Royal College of
• Create a national task force of developers, ministers and local government to produce a
national strategy for increasing supply of retirement housing.
• Extend the worksave pension scheme to include additional saving for social care.
• Give a firm commitment to sustainable funding for the Better Care Fund for future years.
• Launch research focusing on how to improve road safety for older people. This has
already been done in Northern Ireland where there is a Commissioner for Older People.
• Encourage businesses to perform an 'age friendly' audit to identify how well they are
meeting older customers' needs.
• Ensure all services used by older people should be accessible off-line, as well as on-line.
The Commissioner for Older People, once appointed, should assess whether they are.
Some of the organisations which have backed the campaign for a Minister for